Julie K. Waters
Julie began her Army service in 2004 after graduating college. She attended Officer Candidate School at Fort Benning, Georgia and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Military Police Corps. Julie was a platoon leader in the 503d Military Police Battalion (Airborne) at Fort Bragg, North Carolina and completed a deployment to Baghdad, Iraq with a mission of training Iraqi Police officers. During her time as an MP, Julie also served as a staff officer for the 503d and became a Jumpmaster and Senior Rated Parachutist.
Having been selected for the Funded Legal Education Program, Julie attended law school and then returned to Fort Bragg in 2011 to serve as Trial Counsel (prosecutor) with the XVIII Airborne Corps. In 2014, Julie was assigned to the Department of the Army Inspector General's Records Screening Office, where she reviewed hundreds of IG investigations for legal sufficiency before approving them for release to the selection boards.
In 2015, Julie was assigned as the Senior Defense Counsel of the Trial Defense Service office at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, where she defended dozens of Soldiers in Courts-Martial and separation boards and advised many more on investigations and other adverse actions in addition to supervising other attorneys and paralegals.
Julie has served in the Army Reserve since 2016. As a Reservist, she was a member and then chief of the 150th Legal Operations Detachment's Judicial Operations Support Team, which provides legal, training, and administrative support to all of the Army Reserve's Military Judges. She is currently in the Regional Defense Counsel for the Army Reserve Trial Defense Service Great Lakes Region.
- Administrative Separation Boards
- Adverse Administrative Actions
- The Ohio State University, Michael E. Moritz College of Law, Columbus, Ohio
- J.D. - 2010
- Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
- B.A. - 2004
- Major: International Studies and French
- Ohio, 2010
- Meritorious Service Medal (2)
- Army Commendation Medal (3)
- Army Achievement Medal (2)
- Senior Parachutist Badge
- Army Staff Identification Badge
- Iraqi Campaign Medal
- German Armed Forces Military Efficiency Badge (Gold)
- Regional Defense Counsel (Army Reserve)
- Judicial Operations Support Team (Army Reserve)
- Senior Defense Counsel, US Army Trial Defense Service, Fort Sill OK
- Legal Advisor, DA Inspector General’s Office, Pentagon
- Assistant CJA and Chief of Affirmative Claims, Womack Army Medical Center, Fort Bragg NC
- Trial Counsel (Prosecutor), XVIII Airborne Corps, Fort Bragg NC
- Military Police Officer, Fort Bragg NC